How Do They Work?
Enzymes in skincare products are nature-exfoliating superheroes. Our skin sheds dead cells and regrows new cells which are made of a protein called Keratin. These dead cells left on the upper layer of skin are called the epidermis, giving the appearance of dull skin.
Enzymes work by breaking down the keratin and removing dead skin cells from the skin. Enzymes are a natural alternative to physical exfoliation (scrubs). They create a chemical reaction on the skin to dissolve dry, hardened skin cells and encourage the growth of new, healthy cells to take their place.
This process clears the clogged pores and congestion leading to skin becoming radiant, smooth, and clean.
What Are The Benefits For The Skin?
- Reduce Breakouts and Clogged Pores: The natural flow of sweat and skin oils gets disrupted due to clogged pores. The disrupted pores trap oil and bacteria, leading to breakouts. Skin pores also become enlarged. Enzymes clear pores of dead skin and allow for an improved flow of sweat and natural oils leading to better skin and a reduction in pore size.
- Smoothing Uneven Skin: Enzymes exfoliate the skin gently. Regular exfoliation results in sloughing off dead skin resulting in smooth healthy skin and a consistent rate of cell turnover, which helps diminish scars and pigmentation. This results in smoother, softer skin.
- Deals with Skin Oiliness and Dryness Issues: Enzymes are gentler and more efficient than chemicals in skincare products. These work by repairing the skin, maintaining moisture levels, and creating a protective barrier against irritants and bacteria. All this results in balanced skin free from dryness and oversecretion of oils.
Where Do They Come From?
Skincare products frequently use fruit enzymes which are extracted through a fermentation process which is similar to winemaking.
- Pineapple Fruit Enzymes – Pineapple contains bromelain enzyme which breaks down dry and dead skin cells ultimately leading to softer and smoother skin. Bromelain enzyme in skin care treatments acts like alpha hydroxy acid and removes dead skin cells. This enzyme also has anti-inflammatory properties on the skin.
- Papaya Fruit Enzymes – Papaya fruit contains the papain enzyme. The papain enzyme in skin care works by increasing the elasticity of the skin thus preventing wrinkles. It also dissolves and removes dead skin cells and brightens the skin naturally.
- Banana Fruit Enzymes – Bananas contain amylase and maltase enzymes. These enzymes soften and nourish the skin.
Are Enzymes Better Than Acids?
Enzymes aren’t technically better than acids but can be more suitable for certain skin types and issues, they are a more gentle way to exfoliate and brighten the complexion, and are especially beneficial for those with sensitive skin and women who are pregnant.
They are perfect for those who suffer from inflammation, pigmentation and acne-prone skin. Rosacea is a complex skin concern and in some cases, abrasion-free exfoliation is key to effective exfoliation and management of this skin condition.
TWO TO TRY
Advanced Pro-Radiance Enzyme Cleanser €36.20/£29.00 – An advanced foaming facial wash designed to thoroughly cleanse the skin and remove impurities. Combining a powerful blend of natural fruit AHA’s, it doubles as an exfoliant to remove dead skin cells, while Prickly Pear stimulates the skin’s natural renewal process to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Leaves skin feeling soft, smooth and glowing.
Pro-Radiance Enzyme Peel €36.20/£29.00 – A powerful at-home peel! Formulated with a blend of AHA’s and fruit enzymes, the peel removes dry, dull cells from the skin’s surface to promote skin renewal and skin brightening for a more youthful and even complexion.