We have all grown up hearing “it’s the thought that counts” when it comes to buying presents for Mum for Mother’s Day. As children, we find it very hard to believe that something handmade would trump a shop-bought gift, but when we go on to have kids of our own, we realise that there was ne’er a truer word spoken.
Of course, the problem with handmade gifts is finding the time to create them, never mind the concern they’ll be anything less than perfect after hours of graft.
Well, the good news is that Plant-Based Nutritionist and Frontier Foods Brand Ambassador Holly White has provided the perfect solution to a gift this Mother’s Day. She has taken a firm favourite – the devilishly decadent chocolate truffle – and created a recipe so delicious you’re guaranteed to be proud of your creation.
Not only are these melt-in-the-mouth truffles vegan, they are also incredibly easy to make. The Frontier Foods Organic Full Fat Coconut Milk gives them a luxurious richness which just so happens to be a much healthier alternative to the usual double cream.
These chocolates will make a wonderful gift to give to Mum, or better still, to enjoy together this Mother’s Day.
“With Mother’s Day coming up it’s always nice to gift a really special treat” says Holly.
“I love chocolate, but traditional varieties don’t agree with me. Thankfully it’s so easy to make up a vegan option and these truffles are so special. The Frontier Foods Coconut Milk makes them so creamy, and I like to play around with the toppings. Whether it’s more cacao powder, chopped nuts or freeze-dried raspberries, it’s fun to make these unique to Mum. I really hope these are enjoyed time and time again!”
Coconut Milk Chocolate Truffles
- 240 ml Frontier Foods Organic, Full Fat Coconut Milk
- 3 tablespoons of Frontier Foods Organic Coconut Oil
- 300g of dairy-free dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1 handful of desiccated coconut
- 1 handful of mixed nuts, such as pecans, hazelnuts, macadamias
- 2 tablespoons of raw cacao powder
- Freeze-dried raspberries or glacé cherries
- Pour the coconut milk into a small pan over low heat and heat through.
- Snap the chocolate into a bowl, add the coconut oil, then pour over the coconut milk and stir gently to combine – being careful not to mix too quickly.
- Stir in the vanilla and place in the fridge to set for at least 4 hours.
- When the truffle mixture is almost set, toast the desiccated coconut in a dry frying pan over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes, or until lightly golden, then tip onto a plate.
- Return the pan to the heat, scatter in the nuts and toast for 2 minutes, or until golden.
- Leave to cool for a few minutes, then finely chop and place onto a second plate.
- Spread the cocoa powder over a third plate and do the same with the freeze-dried raspberry or chopped glacé cherries.
- Using a teaspoon, scoop out little balls of the truffle mixture and roll in the palm of your hands, placing them onto a tray as you go.
- Roll the balls in the toasted coconut or chopped nuts, or for a simple finish, roll them in cocoa powder, crumbled freeze-dried raspberry or chopped glacé cherries.
- Return the decorated truffles to the fridge for around 10 minutes to firm up, then serve, or wrap them up and hand-deliver them to Mum!
Holly teamed up with Irish Food Wholesaler and Producer Frontier Foods to create and share some truly mouth-watering plant-based recipes using their range of organic and vegan products. Her recipes cover everything from banana maplecakes, to tahini protein fudge and apricot and coconut energy balls.
Speaking of their partnership, Holly said:
“Frontier Foods and I share the same belief and passion that eating well involves fresh, organic where possible, ingredients and cooking from scratch.
The brand has a wonderful range of cupboard staples I use daily in particular the Organic Coconut Oil, Coconut Milk, Apple Cider Vinegar and the Tahini which makes the most delicious dressings.Packaging is always recyclable where possible and carefully sourced by Vincent and the team and is truly a brand I trust and love.”