To create this multi-award-winning certified organic and vegan skincare range Founder Nicola Connolly spent over a decade living, studying and researching wellness with local communities, biologists and healers in Ecuador and Peru.
Nunaïa (pronounced [noo-nigh-ya]) combines the ancestral wisdom of plants and wellness used for thousands of years in the Amazon Rainforest and Andes Mountains, with the latest green beauty technology for the perfect superfood skincare ritual.
All Nunaïa products have been formulated and crafted to nourish, restore and renew not just your skin, but your overall wellbeing and inner balance with simple ritual steps that bring more mindfulness to your skincare ritual.
With sustainability and community at the heart of what they do, Nunaïa follows a ‘Soil to Skin’ philosophy, meaning their unique raw ingredient sourcing and manufacturing process can be traced back through three simple production points. Starting its journey in Peru these ingredients make their way to Lough Derg in Co. Tipperary for the final process of production. Nicola aspires that every part of the business is sustainable from regenerative agriculture practices to the supply chain and packaging.
To support their growers, a percentage of every product sold also goes into the Nunaïa Community Fund, which supports educational programs for girls and women in the communities where the ingredients are grown in Peru.
The Nunaïa range is designed to restore skin health by improving skin barrier function, hydration levels and skin regeneration.
- Moisturise – help to balance the skin’s natural moisture levels, replenish lipids and reinforce the skin’s barrier function
- Protect – aid in reducing redness and the appearance of inflammation. Rich in antioxidants to help resist free radical damage including UV, blue light and pollution
- Replenish – help to improve skin tone and texture. Aid in activating the skin’s natural ability to regenerate, heal and renew itself
- Sacha Inchi is a plant-based ‘bio-retinol’ with a high vitamin A content, Omega 3, 6 and 9 and helps promote skin cell regeneration
- Maracuja is rich in natural vitamin C and Piceatannol, a powerful antioxidant, which helps brighten skin, treat pigmentation and stimulate collagen
- Chia is the richest plant source of Omega 3 for optimal skin health, helps maintain natural lipid balance and boosts skin moisture levels
- Avocado has an abundance of moisturising fatty acids which help protect the skin from moisture loss and is rich in vitamin E and A which help smooth, plump and soften the skin
Why Nunaïa is Different
- 20 Irish and international beauty and industry awards including the prestigious Attracta Beauty Awards and Beauty Bible Awards in the U.K
- A percentage of every product sold also goes into the Nunaïa Community Fund, which supports educational programs for girls and women in the communities where the ingredients are grown in Peru
- Products hold the highest Ecocert COSMOS organic certifications on the European market with 99.5% for Nourishing Radiance Serum and 82% for Superfood Cleansing Balm
- Products certified 100% natural by Ecocert COSMOS
- Cruelty-Free Certification and Vegan Society Certification
- Clinically tested in independent 3rd party labs to back up efficacy claims. Dermatologically tested and suitable for sensitive skin
- Suitable for dry, dehydrated, sensitive and aging skin
- The Ground & Glow Skin Ritual Set packaging is made from mycelium, the root structure of mushrooms and is 100% compostable and biodegradable. The boxes are made from mycelium technology a first for Ireland
- Ethical and sustainable supply chain
- Operate a regenerative business model and strive to create more sustainable business practices every day right across the supply chain from the planting and harvesting of raw materials, product design and life cycle right through to the company culture and beyond
- Thoughtfully designed to eliminate unnecessary waste and packaging. All packaging is designed to re-purpose from our keepsake serum and balm boxes to the cut-out print in the Facial Cleansing Ovals box
- Nunaïa’s code of conduct sets stringent standards for labour practices, transparency, sustainability, organic certification, animal welfare and anti-discrimination policies
- Nunaïa upcycle ingredients so there is less waste, for example, avocados that don’t make the grade for export but are otherwise perfect are used as a key ingredient in our products so don’t end up in landfill
- Nourishing Radiance Serum €79
This multi-award-winning organic facial oil serum is a radiance-boosting, superfood serum formulated with clinically proven sustainably sourced botanical actives from the Peruvian Rainforest and Andes Mountains. It’s a deeply moisturising infusion created to help balance the skin’s natural moisture levels, reduce redness and the appearance of inflammation, and enhance skin tone and texture, 100% naturally. It delivers an optimal concentration of vitamins, minerals, fatty acids and phytonutrients to renew, nourish and protect the skin, naturally. 99.5% certified organic and 100% certified natural. Use at night with the Nunaïa ritual for greater calm and as a primer under makeup. Dull, tired skin finds its glow again.
- Superfood Cleansing Balm €59
This antioxidant-rich, plant-based Superfood Cleansing Balm deeply cleans and removes even tough eye makeup without stripping or drying the skin. Made with soothing and nourishing rainforest actives sacha inchi and maracuja, which contain vitamin A, C, E, antioxidants and essential fatty acids to leave your skin soft, comfortable and hydrated. 82% certified organic and 100% certified natural. Use as part of your double cleanse routine or as a hydrating botanical mask to hydrate and restore glow.
- Facial Cleansing Ovals €19.95
Nunaïa’s Facial Cleansing Ovals are the perfect companion to the Superfood Cleansing Balm. They gently but effectively remove dirt and makeup to reveal smoother, brighter skin. The sustainable, double-sided luxury Cleansing Ovals are made from GOTS certified organic cotton, are reusable up to 200 times and are a great replacement for single-use cotton pads.
- Ground and Glow Skin Ritual Set €125
The best-selling skincare ritual set has been crafted and designed to nourish, restore and renew not just your skin but your overall well-being and inner balance. We know that when your skin glows, and you feel grounded, you have more energy for the important things in life. Featuring a 100% compostable and biodegradable box made from mycelium technology for a sustainable skincare set and contains the signature NunaÏa Ritual® Guide for greater calm and balance.
- Ground Mini Ritual Set €28
This is the perfect travel companion. The set has been crafted to nourish, restore and renew not just your skin but your overall well-being and inner balance. The Ground Mini Ritual Set contains Nourishing Radiance Serum 5ml to restore radiance and hydration to the skin, Superfood Cleansing Balm 15ml to deeply cleanse and nourish and a super soft Facial Cleansing Oval to lift away daily impurities in a reusable certified organic cotton pouch. Contains a 14-day supply.
Nunaïa lovingly crafts mindful rituals to nourish skin and soul and has been over a decade in the making. Nicola believes passionately in the power of ritual to bring greater connection and balance to our world.
Nicola says: “I spent many years studying and researching the unique wisdom of indigenous communities in the Amazon Rainforest and Andes Mountains of Peru. Their deep ancestral wisdom and use of plants to heal not only skin health but also emotional and psychological ailments was life-changing for me. I created Nunaïa to share this wisdom and help our customers to create those moments of connection and peace I felt while working with these communities right from the comfort of their own homes. The Nunaïa Ritual is a series of simple and effective skincare steps that combine this ancestral wisdom with science-based mindfulness techniques to restore not only skin health but also through the energetic and therapeutic properties of our unique blend of plants helping them to find greater balance, reduce stress and reach a place of calm.”
This is a first for Ireland, the Nunaïa Ground & Glow Ritual Set packaging is made with cutting-edge mycelium technology and upcycled hemp waste.
Mycelium is part of the fungi kingdom and is the network of threads, called hyphae, from which mushrooms grow. Its fast-growing fibres produce materials used for the packaging to replace plastics that are rapidly accumulating in the environment.
Each box is a living product grown individually with love for every customer. It is 100% compostable and biodegradable. It breaks down in compost bins or flower beds within 45 days and is Cradle to Cradle Gold Certified and carbon-negative.
Nicola says: “We look to the intelligence of nature to provide high-performance active ingredients to solve our skin challenges,” says Nunaïa founder Nicola Connolly. “So, with our commitment to become ever more sustainable and conscious, we asked: Why not look to the plant world for our packaging?”
“I believe nature has tremendous power to both heal our skin and solve so many of our current challenges,” continues Nicola Connolly. “We are excited to be one of the first companies in the world and the first company in Ireland to use and develop this mycelium technology. It not only carefully holds and cares for our beautiful skincare ritual, but is also completely compostable and bio-contributing, so it nourishes the soil after use. We’re extremely proud of this innovation and leading the way towards sustainability in the beauty industry in Ireland.”
Nunaïa skincare rituals leave the planet and its people better through an innovative regenerative business model that combines the latest green beauty technology with ancestral plant wisdom to regenerate ecosystems and communities.
“We aim far beyond ‘sustainable’. Our range of superfood skincare rituals helps to restore healthy ecosystems in the Amazon Rainforest and Andes Mountains of Peru. We work closely with our community of growers using plants that improve biodiversity and soil health while increasing farmer incomes and providing exceptional high-quality plant actives for our products.”
Nunaïa is a regenerative business that operates in a holistic way across its entire supply chain so that ecosystems, communities and living systems become healthier from doing business with them. “The more we grow, the more we can restore and replenish our beautiful planet.”
The Nunaïa range of products nourishes skin and soul 100% naturally. No fillers or synthetic ingredients are in any of their products and they use upcycled ingredients where possible.
Nunaïa works with small farmer growers who typically own farms less than one hectare in size. They till by hand or using ox-drawn ploughs, harvest by hand and plant multiple crops on their land to preserve biodiversity and protect soil health.
Ecocert COSMOS organic certification means no pesticides, herbicides or synthetic chemicals are used as these reduce biodiversity and weaken our ecosystems and ultimately our human and planetary health. Organic farming is critical to preserving biodiversity, maintaining habitats and protecting wildlife for future generations.
“Biodiversity is crucial to the health of the planet and us humans and is at the heart of what we do at Nunaïa. By ensuring we work directly with our growers to restore healthy ecosystems and build resilient communities we move away from the current system of extractive, inequitable, unsustainable business to one where we recognise how deeply we are all connected and the planet and a kinder, regenerative model can emerge where we all can flourish and thrive.”
- Eco-cert COSMOS Certification: Nunaïa products are certified organic skincare products by Eco-cert COSMOS. Eco-cert was the first international certification body to develop standards for natural and green cosmetics and is one of the most reputable organic certifiers in the world. Nunaïa has gone through a stringent certification process that certifies that all Nunaïa raw materials including ingredients, packaging, and all products used in the manufacture process come from organic, renewable sources and are environmentally and socially friendly
- Cruelty-Free Certification: The Leaping Bunny is the only internationally recognised certification for brands that are not tested on animals. The entire supplier monitoring system has been audited for compliance with Cruelty-Free International’s strict criteria. Nunaïa is a cruelty-free skincare brand
- Vegan Certification: Nunaïa Nourishing Radiance Serum does not contain animal-derived ingredients and has not involved any animal testing. It is registered and certified vegan skincare by The Vegan Society
- Dermatologically Tested: Nunaïa Nourishing Radiance Serum has also gone through dermatological testing in an independent clinical laboratory and is suitable for sensitive skin and use during pregnancy.
About Nunaïa and Founder Nicola Connolly
Nunaïa (pronounced [noo-nigh-ya]) is based on a ‘Soil to Skin’ philosophy that aims to ensure that no one, nothing and no place suffers from what we put on our skin. Nicola spent over a decade working as a sustainability consultant for International Development Agencies and NGOs with traditional communities in the Amazon Rainforest, Galapagos Islands and Andes Mountains of Peru and Ecuador. Her focus was on helping these communities create sustainable business models in line with the UN Sustainable Development Goals of alleviating poverty, gender equality, ecosystem protection and sustainable production.
Nicola also apprenticed for seven years with traditional healers studying plants and herbalism and the use of plants and rituals to restore physical, emotional and spiritual health. These experiences led her to found Nunaïa as a way to help her customers find a greater sense of connection and balance in their day.
Nicola says: “We only use sustainable, certified organic and regenerative farming practices, ingredients and materials that don’t damage the earth and empower our growers to preserve their cultural traditions and build sustainable futures for their families. We then combine these incredible plants that have been trialed and tested for thousands of years by these indigenous communities into our skincare rituals for radiant, healthy skin and the aromatherapeutic and energetic benefits of the plants to help nourish, restore and calm.”