Cooking and baking with coconut oil have long been recommended by nutritionists due to its proven health benefits. It contains medium-chain triglycerides which boost “good” cholesterol, help with weight loss and provide a direct source of natural energy to our bodies.
The next time you’re stocking up on this much-loved kitchen staple, be sure to pick up an extra jar for your next self-care session. As well as working wonders for your health in the kitchen, coconut oil is a fantastic multi-purpose beauty tool that can work wonders for your skin, too. Studies show that it improves skin barrier function and repair, has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, fights the signs of skin ageing and makes an effective cleanser and moisturiser.
Not all oils are created alike, however: the refining process diminishes the mighty coconut’s naturally beneficial properties. Opt for the likes of Frontier Foods’Raw, Organic Coconut Oil to make sure your skin reaps the rewards of using this wonder ingredient to its fullest.
There are instances where the direct application is extremely effective – hello body moisturiser, make-up remover and cuticle softener – but there are some super simple, tried-and-tested recipes that enhance the beauty-boosting properties of coconut oil without leaving your skin or hair feeling greasy.
Cleansing & Nourishing Coconut Oil Hair Mask
Coconut oil helps you to grow healthy, thicker, longer hair. The vitamins and fatty acids help to nourish the scalp and penetrate through the cuticles; smoothing split ends and breakages and helping to control frizz in the process.
Coconut oil hydrates whilst apple cider vinegar is great for deep cleansing, leaving your hair looking and feeling clean, soft and shiny.
For this double-benefit hair mask, you’ll need:
- 2 Tbsp. Frontier Foods Raw, Organic Coconut Oil
- 1 Tbsp. Frontier Foods Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
Makes one application.
- Gently warm the coconut oil in a bain-marie until it is melted.
- Combine the oil with the apple cider vinegar, mixing well.
- When the mixture is cool enough to work with, apply the mask to dry or damp hair in sections, ensuring you cover from root to tip.
- Leave on for 15 to 20 minutes, then rinse out with warm water. Follow your regular shampoo and conditioner routine.
Exfoliating & Moisturising Skin Scrub
The sugar gently buffs away dead skin cells, revealing healthy, radiant-looking skin underneath. The coconut oil hydrates and moisturises, leaving your skin feeling silky smooth and smelling divine. The optional addition of orange or lemon essential oil adds a toning, brightening effect to your skin.
Use this recipe on your face, hands, feet, body — anywhere and everywhere.
- 2 Cups of light brown sugar
- 1 Cup of solid (but soft) Frontier Foods Raw, Organic Coconut Oil
- Optional: 3 Drops of Orange or Lemon Essential Oil
- Use a food processor to whip the sugar, oil, and essential oil together until the mixture looks creamy and resembles loose cookie dough. Don’t let it process too long, or the coconut oil will melt, and the mixture will separate. If this happens, just put it in the freezer for a few minutes to solidify and mix again.
- Apply gently and in circular motions to damp skin, or apply to dry skin for a stronger exfoliating effect. Rinse off with warm water.
- Use twice a week for optimum results. Store in an airtight container for up to three weeks.
Frontier Foods Raw, Organic Coconut Oil – Large €6.75, Small €4.95
Frontier Foods are available in stockists nationwide, including Tesco, Dunnes Stores, Super Valu, Fresh Stores & Eurospar. For more information visitwww.frontierfoods.ie