Portugal is one of the Irish tourists’ top holiday destinations, and it’s easy to see why! From North to South, Portugal has something to offer all types of holidaymakers, whether you fancy a weekend city break or a sunny beach getaway.
This edition of the Portugal newsletter focuses on all that’s happening in the beautiful city of Porto in the North and the sunny Algarve in the South. Boasting vibrant festivals and exciting events to new travel initiatives and brand new hotels, you’ll be spoiled for choice on your trip to Portugal this summer!
Susana Cardoso, Director, Visit Portugal Ireland
The São João Festival, Porto
For five weeks in May and June, there’s a magical festive atmosphere in Porto as the city prepares the celebrate the longest night of the year, the night of St. John, “São João” in Portuguese, from 23rd to 24th June.
On this night, the city transforms, the streets come alive with people, colour and a feeling of joy. On the night of São João, it’s tradition to barbecue sardines in any part of the city, with loud music and tons of entertainment.
Visiting Porto? Click here to find out what to do Porto for a few days.
New 4-star Hotels in Porto 2022
- The Editory Boulevard Aliados Hotel www.editoryhotels.com/boulevard-aliados-porto
- Sé Catedral Hotel https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/oposcup-se-catedral-hotel-porto/
- Pestana Douro Riverside https://www.pestana.com/en/hotel/pestana-douro?utm_source=google-my-business&utm_medium=organicsearch&utm_campaign=pestana-douro
- Quinta do Pedregal Hotel & Spa https://quintadopedregal.pt/en/quinta-do-pedregal-hotel-spa-2/
- Four Points by Sheraton Matosinhos https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/opofpfour-points-matosinhos/?scid=bb1a189a-fec3-4d19-a255-54ba596febe2
- Fontinha Porto Hotel www.fontinhahotel.com
- Upcoming Major Sporting Event in the Algarve
New Sustainable Travel Initiative Launched
Rota Vicentina has developed and launched an extensive programme of sustainable activities and experiences in Vicentina Natural Park in the southwest of the Algarve, one of the most beautiful and preserved coastlines in Southern Europe.
- Escape to a landscape of beach, sea, cliffs and music
Discover the unique history of the charming fishing village of Carrapateira and the life of the fishermen through a musical tour guided by two interpreters Click here for more information.
- Portugal heritage tours
Portugal Heritage Tours presents three types of thematic programmes -‐ Culture, Nature and Culinary focused on the unknown and often inaccessible heritage of Portugal: accessing, discovering, perceiving, experiencing and living the landscapes, the gastronomy, the traditions, the heritage and unexpected forms of culture of the whole immense interior of Portugal and its people. Learn more here.
- Walking Meditation, Rota Vicentina
Destress and connect with your body through walking meditation and breathing techniques in this special workshop guided by Anne Rasquin from Stress-Free Zone, a psycho-body professional therapist with more than 20 years of experience. Click here for more information.
Find a full list of all the programs & activities here.
New 5-star Hotels in the Algarve 2022
- Domes Lake Algarve https://domesresorts.com/domeslakealgarve/
- W Algarve https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotels/faowh-w-algarve/overview/
- Wyndham Grand In Quinta Do Lago https://wyndhamgrandalgarve.com/hotel/